1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each dark brown print 2-1/4" square and yellow print 3" square.
2. Align a marked 2-1/4" square with one corner of the multicolor floral 6-1/2" square (Diagram 3). Stitch on marked line. Trim excess fabric, leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle.
3. Align a second marked 2-1/4" square with opposite corner of 6-1/2" square; stitch, trim, and press as before. In same manner, add marked 2-1/4" squares to remaining corners to make a block center (Diagram 4).
4. Sew position 1 and 2 rectangles to opposite edges of block center. Add position 3 and 4 rectangles to remaining edges (Diagram 5). Press all seams toward rectangles.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to add a marked 3" square to each corner of the block center to make a bordered unit (Diagram 6).
6. Sew position 5 and 6 rectangles to opposite edges of bordered unit. Join position 7 and 8 rectangles to remaining edges (Diagram 7). Press all seams toward just-added rectangles.
7. Align a marked corner unit with one corner of bordered unit (Diagram 8; note placement of orange print triangle). Sew on marked line; trim and press as before. Repeat with remaining corners of bordered unit to make a block. The block should be 13-1/2" square including seam allowances.