Assemble House Blocks
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each tan stripe 2-1⁄2" square.
2. Align a marked tan stripe 2-1⁄2" square with each end of a brown print 2-1⁄2×11-1⁄2" strip (Diagram 5; note directions of drawn lines). Stitch on marked lines; trim excess fabric, leaving 1⁄4" seam allowances. Press open attached triangles to make roof unit.
3. Referring to Diagram 6, lay out roof unit and tan stripe, dark red print, blue stripe, olive green plaid, and orange plaid pieces for house block in sections. Sew together pieces in each section; press seams toward darker prints.
4. Join sections to make a blue house block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 11-1⁄2×13-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 to make a second blue house block.
6. Substituting black print for brown print and brown stripe for blue stripe, repeat steps 2 through 4 to make two brown house blocks total.