Assemble Basket Blocks
1. For one basket block, you’ll need a brown plaid set of A, C, D, and F pieces and a tan print set of a 4-3⁄4×10" rectangle, a B piece, and an E piece.
2. Sew together a brown plaid A piece and a tan print B piece to make an AB unit (Diagram 1). Press seam toward B piece.
3. Sew together a brown plaid D piece and a tan print E piece to make a DE unit (Diagram 2). Press seam toward E piece.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, join the AB unit to a brown plaid C piece; add the DE unit to make a basket unit. Press seams toward C piece.
5. Press under seam allowance on brown plaid F piece to make basket handle. Referring to Diagram 4 for placement, position basket handle on a tan print 4-3⁄4×10" rectangle; baste. Using matching tan thread, appliqué handle in place.
6. Sew together handle rectangle and a basket unit to make a basket block (Diagram 5). Press seam toward basket. Basket block should be 10×11-3⁄4" including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to make six basket blocks total.