1. For one block, gather pieces from a single bright print (eight 2-1/2" squares and eight 1-1/2" squares) and eight black-and-white stripe 2-1/2" squares.
2. Use a pencil or white chalk pencil to draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each bright print 1-1/2" square.
3. Align a marked square with one corner of a black-and-white stripe 2-1/2" square (Diagram 1; note direction of drawn line). Stitch on drawn line, then trim, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle, pressing seam toward black-and-white stripe, to make a square unit. Repeat to make eight square units total.
4. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together two bright print 2-1/2" squares and two square units in pairs. Press seams open. Join pairs to make a Necktie unit. Press seam open. The unit should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat Step 4 to make four Necktie units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together Necktie units in pairs, rotating units as shown. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Magic Circle block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 16 to make nine Magic Circle Blocks total.