To make mitered corners in the border as shown in the featured wall hanging, complete the following steps.
1. Cut and piece navy blue stripe 2×42" strips to make:
2—2×54" border strips
2—2×32" border strips
2. Aligning midpoints, sew short border strips to short edges of quilt center, beginning and ending seams 1⁄4" from corners (Diagram 6). In the same manner, sew long border strips to remaining edges.
3. Referring to Diagram 7, lap one border strip over the other. Using the edge of an acrylic ruler, mark a diagonal line from border seam corner to intersection of strip raw edges. Then place bottom border strip on top and repeat marking process.
4. With right sides together, match marked seam lines and pin together (Diagram 8). Beginning with a backstitch at inside corner, sew strips together, stitching exactly on marked lines. Check right side to see that corner lies flat. Trim excess fabric, leaving a 1⁄4" seam allowance. Press seam open (Diagram 9).
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with remaining border corners to complete quilt top.