Assemble and Embroider Block
1) Referring to Block Assembly Diagram, sew cream linen 4-1⁄8 ×10-1⁄2" rectangles to ice cream unit. Add cream linen 1-1⁄4 ×12" rectangles to complete ice cream block. The block should be 12" square including seam allowances.
2) Remove foundation papers from block with tweezers or blunt edge of a seam ripper, taking care not to tug or pull out any stitches. Press block from wrong side.
3) Using a light box or a sunny window and referring to Embroidery Placement Diagram, use an air-soluble marking pen to lightly trace the Embroidery Pattern on page 6 onto block. Place the block in the embroidery hoop, centering the design inside the opening. Pull fabric taut and tighten the screw.
4) Using two strands of red embroidery floss, backstitch the traced words. To backstitch, pull your threaded needle up at A (Backstitch Diagram), insert it back into fabric at B, and bring it up at C. Continue in the same manner until all letters are stitched.
1) Stitch a running stitch approximately 1" from block edge (outside the hoop). Pull the thread to gather the fabric in the back; knot thread. Trim excess fabric approximately 1⁄2" beyond the gathering thread.
2) If desired, cut a felt circle that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the embroidery hoop. Whipstitch the felt circle to the gathered fabric on the back.