Assemble Ice Cream Unit
To foundation-piece, stitch fabric pieces to a foundation paper with marked side of paper facing up and fabric pieces layered underneath. The resulting pieced unit is a mirror image of the foundation paper. When foundation-piecing, use a tiny stitch length (12–16 stitches per inch).
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) Gather red batik and cream linen pieces for foundation paper A.
2) Turn foundation paper over so marked side is down. Place red batik position A1 square right side up on foundation paper position A1 (Diagram 1). Pin with a flat head pin. Hold paper up to light to confirm that fabric piece completely covers position A1.
3) Turn foundation paper over so marked side is up. Referring to Diagram 2, fold foundation paper back on the stitching line between positions A1 and A2.
4) Measure 1⁄4" from folded edge of foundation paper. Using a clear ruler and rotary cutter, trim fabric piece to create 1⁄4" seam allowance (Diagram 3). If using an Add-A-Quarter ruler, place ruler lip against folded edge of paper and use rotary cutter to trim fabric piece along ruler edge. Unfold paper.
5) Turn foundation paper so marked side is down. With right sides together, align edge of cream linen position A2 square with trimmed edge of red batik position A1 rectangle; pin and check placement of position A2 square.
6) Turn foundation paper marked side up. Sew on stitching line through all layers, backstitching at beginning and end of line (Diagram 4). Turn paper marked side down. Using a dry iron, press open position A2 square, pressing seam toward newly added piece (Diagram 5).
7) Fold foundation paper on stitching line between position A3 and positions A1 and A2 unit. As before, trim 1⁄4" from folded edge.
8) Turn foundation paper marked side down. With right sides together, align edge of cream linen position A3 piece with trimmed edge of positions A1 and A2 unit; pin and check placement of position A3 piece.
9) Turn foundation paper up marked side up. Sew on stitching line between position A3 and positions A1 and A2 unit through all layers, backstitching at beginning and end of line.
10) Continue adding pieces in numerical order, trimming, stitching, and pressing in the same manner, until you have pieced entire foundation paper A; press, leaving paper in place. Using a clear ruler and rotary cutter, trim on dashed outer lines to make section A (Diagram 6). The section should be 1-7⁄8 ×4-3⁄4" including seam allowances.
11) In the same manner, use yellow batik, green batik, tan batik, and cream linen pieces to foundation-piece sections B and C (Diagram 7). Section B should be 1-7⁄8 ×4-3⁄4" including seam allowances. Section C should be 4-3⁄4×7-3⁄4" including seam allowances.
12) Referring to Diagram 7, join sections to make ice cream unit. The unit should be 4-3⁄4 ×10-1⁄2" including seam allowances.