1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Sandy stitched a stipple design in the appliqué foundation and outer border. She stitched in the ditch around each black and white square in the inner border.
3. Cut and piece solid black 2-1⁄2 ×42" strips to make:
• 2—2-1⁄2 ×53-1⁄2" binding strips
4. Cut and piece yellow print 2-1⁄2 ×42" strips to make:
• 2—2-1⁄2 ×45" binding strips
5. Starting and stopping at a black square, sew a solid black binding strip to top edge of quilt top, leaving 1⁄4" unsewn at beginning and end (Diagram 7). Repeat to sew remaining solid black binding strip to bottom edge of quilt top.
6. Referring to Diagram 8, fold back unsewn ends of black binding 1⁄4"; finger-press. Lay a yellow print binding strip atop black binding, overlapping 1⁄4", and sew yellow print binding to quilt top, ending at black binding on opposite side of quilt top. Repeat with remaining yellow print binding strip. Turn to wrong side, fold raw edge of strip under 1⁄4", and hand-stitch to backing.