Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out orange, blue, and red flowers, D circles, E flowerpots, F and G flowerpot tops, and black dot ribbon stems on green appliqué foundation; fuse in place.
2. Using cream thread, machine-blanket-stitch around each flower. Using yellow thread, machine-blanket-stitch around each D circle. Using black thread, machine-blanket-stitch around remaining pieces to make quilt center.
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out 11 solid white 2" squares and 10 solid black 2" squares in a row, alternating colors.
2. Sew together squares to make a short inner border strip. Press seams toward solid black.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a second short inner border strip.
4. Using 18 solid black 2×2-3⁄4" rectangles and 17 solid white 2×2-3⁄4" rectangles for each strip, repeat steps 1–3 to make two long inner border strips.
5. Sew short inner border strips to short edges of quilt center. Add long inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward quilt center.
6. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each yellow print 2-1⁄2" square.
7. Align a marked square with one end of a red dot 2-1⁄2 ×4-1⁄2" rectangle (Diagram 5; note direction of drawn line). Sew on marked line; trim seam allowance to 1⁄4". Press open attached triangle.
8. Align a marked square with opposite end of Step 7 rectangle (Diagram 5; again note direction of marked line). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a left zigzag unit. The unit should be 4-1⁄2 ×2-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 to make 18 left zigzag units total.
10. Referring to Diagram 6, repeat steps 7 and 8 to make 18 right zigzag units total.
11. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out nine each of left and right zigzag units in a row. Sew together units to make an outer border strip. The outer border strip should be 4-1⁄2 ×36-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Press seams in one direction. Repeat to make a second outer border strip.
12. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew outer border strips to short edges of quilt center to complete quilt top.