Assemble Pumpkin Block
1. Referring to Diagram 8, place a 4"-long orange tone-on-tone strip right side up in middle of muslin 26" square. As with Shadow Box blocks, add assorted orange tone-on-tone print strips clockwise around the center strip; flip each pieced strip open and press before adding the next strip. Add enough orange tone-on-tone strips randomly until you create an orange center that is about 15×18" (Diagram 9).
2. Referring to Diagram 10, add remaining assorted gray print 21"-long strips to corners of orange center to create angled corners. Press strips open and trim even with edges of orange center. Add gray print 42"-long strips around orange center to cover muslin foundation (Diagram 11).
3. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, position green tone-on-tone appliqué shapes on pumpkin foundation. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse pieces in place.
4. Using green thread that matches appliqué pieces, machine-blanket-stitch around appliqué edges.
5. Trim muslin foundation to 24-1⁄2" square including seam allowances to make a pumpkin block.