Assemble Shadow Box Blocks
1. Gather a muslin foundation 13" square, a leaf print 6-1⁄2" square, and 21"-long strips from assorted gray, green, yellow, brown, and orange print.
2. Position leaf print square right side up in one corner of muslin square; pin in place.
3. Cut an assorted gray, green, yellow, brown, or orange strip slightly longer than one edge of leaf print square. Place strip right side down along an inside edge of leaf print square (Diagram 1). Sew in place through all layers. Flip open attached strip and press.
4. Cut a same-color print strip slightly longer than the combined adjacent edge of leaf print square and just-added strip. Add the second strip to adjacent edge of leaf print square as before (Diagram 2). Flip open attached strip and press (Diagram 3).
5. In same manner, use assorted gray, green, yellow, brown, or orange strips to add a second row to same two edges of leaf print square (Diagrams 4–6). To add strips at a slight angle for an off-kilter look, either sew with an angled seam allowance or pretrim (cut carefully to avoid cutting the foundation) the next edge at the desired angle, adding 1⁄4" for seam allowance.
6. Add three more rows of strips to cover foundation square (Diagram 7). Trim muslin foundation to 12-1⁄2" square including seam allowances to make a Shadow Box block.
7. Repeat steps 1–6 to make five Shadow Box blocks total.