Assemble Block 4
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each yellow print 2" square.
2. Align a marked yellow print square with one end of a green print 2×3-1⁄2" rectangle (Diagram 18; note direction of marked line). Sew on marked line. Trim seam allowance to 1⁄4" and press open attached triangle. Add a second marked yellow print square to opposite end of rectangle to make a Flying Geese unit. The unit should be 3-1⁄2 ×2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make six Flying Geese units total.
3. Join yellow print triangles to opposite edges of an aqua print 2-5⁄8" square (Diagram 19). Add yellow print triangles to remaining edges to make a Square-in-a-Square unit. The unit should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make five Square-in-a-Square units total.
4. Referring to Diagram 20, lay out Flying Geese units, remaining green print 2×3-1⁄2" rectangles, and Square-in-a-Square units in three horizontal rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Press seams open. Join rows to make a pieced unit; press seams open. The pieced unit should be 15-1⁄2 ×6-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
5. Using red print 2" squares and a green print 2×15-1⁄2" rectangle, repeat Assemble Block 1, Step 4, page 3, to make bottom segment.
6. Sew bottom segment to bottom edge of pieced unit (Diagram 21). Add remaining green print 2×15-1⁄2" rectangle and yellow print 1-1⁄4 ×15-1⁄2" rectangle to top edge to make basket unit. The basket unit should be 15-1⁄2 ×10-1⁄4" including seam allowances.
7. Referring to Diagram 22, repeat Assemble Block 1, steps 6 and 7, page 3, using red print 5-3⁄4 ×15-1⁄2", 2×15-1⁄2", and 2×17" rectangles and aqua print handle appliqués to make Block 4.