Assemble Block 1
1. Lay out five brown print 1-1⁄2" squares and four green-and-white floral 1-1⁄2" squares in three rows (Diagram 1). Sew together squares in rows. Join rows to make a Nine-Patch unit. The unit should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make three Nine-Patch units total.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together Nine-Patch units and six green-and-aqua floral triangles in three diagonal rows. Join rows. Add remaining green-and-aqua floral triangles to upper left-hand and lower right-hand corners. Trim ends 1⁄4" from corners of Nine-Patch units (Diagram 3).
3. Sew green-and-aqua floral 1-5⁄8 ×4-3⁄4" rectangles to ends of Step 2 unit to make a pieced unit (Diagram 4). The pieced unit should be 15-1⁄2 ×4-3⁄4" including seam allowances.
4. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of pink print 2" squares. Align marked squares with bottom corners of green-and-aqua floral 3 ×15-1⁄2" rectangle (Diagram 5; note direction of marked lines). Sew on marked lines. Trim excess fabric, leaving 1⁄4" seam allowances. Press attached triangles open to make bottom segment.
5. Sew bottom segment to bottom edge of pieced unit (Diagram 6). Add green-and-aqua floral 2-3⁄4 ×15-1⁄2" rectangle and a yellow print 1-1⁄4 ×15-1⁄2" rectangle to top edge to make basket unit. The basket unit should be 15-1⁄2 ×10-1⁄4" including seam allowances.
6. Sew pink print 5-3⁄4 ×15-1⁄2" rectangle to top edge of basket unit and pink print 2×15-1⁄2" rectangle to bottom edge (Diagram 7). Join a pink print 2×17" rectangle to each side edge.
7. Referring to Diagram 8, position brown print handle appliqués on Step 6 unit. Fuse in place following manufacturer’s instructions. Using thread that matches appliqués, machine-blanket-stitch around each handle to make Block 1. The block should be 18-1⁄2 ×17" including seam allowances.