1. For one star block, use top piece from each stack. In each section (A, B, and C), join pieces 1 and 2, matching ends of seams that have dots (Photo 6). Press seams toward each piece 1.
2. Add piece 3 to each section and press seams toward each piece 3 (Photo 7).
3. Before sewing together sections A and B, trim edges to straighten seam line (Photo 8). Join sections, matching seams at bases of star points A1 and B1. Press seam in one direction.
4. Before adding section C to AB unit, trim edges to straighten seam line. Sew together, centering star point C1 over A3 center so star legs look continuous (Photo 9). Press seam in one direction.
5. Centering star, trim joined sections to 9-1/2" square including seam allowances (Photo 10) to make a star block (Photo 11).
6. Repeat steps 1–5 to make 12 star blocks total. Once familiar with "crazy" piecing, save time by chain-piecing all A1 and A2 pieces, then all B1 and B2 pieces, etc. Press, clip apart, and re-stack units before adding the next piece in the sequence.