Assemble Middle Border Blocks
1. Aligning long edges, sew together a solid white 1-1⁄2x21" strip and an assorted print or solid 1-1⁄2x21" strip to make a strip set. Press seam away from white print. Repeat to make 22 strip sets total.
2. Cut each strip set into twelve 1-1⁄2"-wide segments (Diagram 2).
3. Join two nonmatching 1-1⁄2"-wide segments to make a Four-Patch unit (Diagram 3). Press seams in one direction. The unit should be 2-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 128 Four-Patch units total. (You will have eight segments left over.)
4. Referring to Diagram 4 for placement, lay out four tan stripe triangle-squares, four tan print triangle-squares, and eight Four-Patch units in four horizontal rows.
5. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
6. Join rows to make a border block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 8-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 4–6 to make 16 border blocks total.