Assemble Block 1
1. Gather one A 3-1⁄2" square and one B 3-1⁄2" square. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of lightest fabric.
2. Layer marked square on top of unmarked square. Sew layered pair together with two seams, sewing 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward darker print, to make two AB triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 3-1⁄8" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make eight AB triangle-squares total.
4. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make eight triangle-squares of each fabric combination listed below:
5. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out four of each triangle-square fabric combination in six rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make Block 1. Press seams toward top of block. The block should be 16-1⁄4" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat Step 5 to make two total of Block 1.