Assemble Arc Units
Click on "Download this Project" for the Arc Foundation Pattern.
To foundation-piece, you stitch fabric pieces to foundation paper with the marked side of the paper facing up and the fabric pieces layered underneath. Each resulting pieced unit will be a mirror image of the foundation paper.
1. Use a pencil to trace the Arc Foundation Pattern 24 times onto lightweight tracing paper or other foundation material, tracing all lines and numbers. Cut out each traced pattern roughly 1/4" outside dashed lines to make 24 arc foundation papers.
2. Aligning 3" edges, layer a solid yellow 3x3-1/2" rectangle atop an orange print 3" square.
3. Place an arc foundation paper atop layered pieces, positioning it so that aligned edges are 1/4" beyond stitching line between positions 1 and 2 and at least 1/4" beyond arc's top and bottom stitching lines (Diagram 1). To check placement, pin on the line between positions 1 and 2. Flip orange print square open, making sure it completely covers position 2 and extends at least 1/4" into position 3. If it doesn't, reposition and recheck until it does.
4. Working with marked side of arc foundation paper up, sew on stitching line through all layers, extending stitching past beginning and end of the line by several stitches (Diagram 1).
5. Press orange print square open (Diagram 2). Trim orange print square to about 1/4" beyond the stitching line between positions 2 and 3 (Diagram 3).
6. Align a second solid yellow rectangle with trimmed orange print piece so their aligned edges are about 1/4" beyond stitching line between positions 2 and 3 (Diagram 4). Sew on stitching line. Press solid yellow rectangle open (Diagram 5). Trim positions 2 and 3 pieces about 1/4" beyond next stitching line.
7. Continue adding orange print squares and solid yellow rectangles, stitching and trimming in the same manner, until you have pieced the entire arc. Trim all fabric layers and foundation paper on dashed lines to make a yellow-and-orange arc unit (Diagram 6).
8. Repeat steps 2-7 to make 12 yellow-and-orange arc units total.
9. Using mottled dark orange 3x3-1/2" rectangles and green print 3" squares, repeat steps 2-7 to make 12 orange-and-green arc units (Diagram 7).