Prepare the center block appliqué for fusing using one of two methods.
This option has more steps but less tracing than Method 2.
1. Center fusible-web 18" square on wrong side of green batik 19" square. Following manufacturer’s instructions, press, then let cool.
2. Fold freezer-paper 18" square in half vertically, then horizontally, and finally diagonally, finger-pressing after each fold, to make a triangle (Photo A).
3. The Center Block Appliqué Pattern is in two parts on pages 7 and 8. Cut out parts of pattern on dashed and solid lines and tape together. Position pattern on folded freezer-paper triangle, aligning pattern’s dashed lines with folded edges of triangle. Staple or pin in place through all layers (Photo B).
4. Using sharp scissors, cut through all layers on solid lines to make a freezer-paper template (Photo C). Tip: Don’t worry if you don’t cut exactly on the lines; because you’re cutting through all layers, like cutting a snowflake, your design will be symmetrical.
5. Remove staples or pins and unfold freezer-paper template. Center template on right side of fused green batik square. Press with a hot dry iron. Trace around freezer paper with a pencil or chalk pencil (Photo D).
6. Cut out fabric shape on drawn lines to make center block appliqué. Peel off paper backing.
This option has fewer steps but more tracing than Method 1. Note: Some brands of fusible web may release from the paper backing when you fold them. We used Shades SoftFuse (shadestextiles.com) in Photo E.
1. Fold fusible-web 18" square in half vertically, then horizontally, and finally diagonally, finger-pressing after each fold; unfold.
2. Position a creased triangle of fusible web, paper side up, over Center Block Appliqué Pattern, aligning dashed lines on pattern with creases in fusible web. Using a pencil, trace pattern in alternating triangles of fusible web (Photo E). Trace pattern reversed in remaining triangles. Cut out fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
3. With a hot dry iron, fuse shape to wrong side of green batik 19" square. Cut out fabric shape on drawn lines to make center block appliqué. Peel off paper backing.