Assemble and Appliqué Quilt Center
1. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together mottled blue 2-1/2" square, mottled blue large triangle, and two cream print 2-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles in pairs. Press seams open. Join pairs; press seam open.
2. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together mottled blue 2-1/2" square, eight triangle-squares, and two remaining red print, green print, green floral, red floral, or light blue print small triangles in a horizontal and vertical row. Press seams toward small triangle in each row. Sew vertical row to left-hand edge of Step 1 unit. Add horizontal row to top edge. Press seams toward Step 1 unit.
3. Trim cream print rectangles even with small triangles to make a pieced corner triangle (Diagram 4).
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make four pieced corner triangles total.
5. Sew pieced corner triangles to opposite edges of mottled blue 17-1/2" square (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Repeat with remaining pieced corner triangles to make quilt center. Press all seams toward corner triangles. The quilt center should be 24-1/2" square including seam allowances.
6. Fold quilt center in half twice, finger-pressing folds to create appliqué placement guidelines. Unfold, then fold in half diagonally twice; finger-press folds as before and unfold.
7. Referring to Center Block Full-Size Appliqué Placement Diagram (on downloadble PDF) and Appliqué Placement Diagram, center green print A piece over pressed diagonal lines. Fuse in place. Arrange remaining B–H pieces on quilt center. When you are pleased with the arrangement, fuse in place.
8. Using threads that match the appliqué shapes and working from bottom layer to top, machine-zigzag-stitch all pieces in place.