1. For one block gather four 3-1⁄2x5-1⁄2" rectangles from one light print and one 4-1⁄2x10-1⁄2" rectangle, four 3-1⁄2" squares, and four 2-1⁄2" squares from one dark print.
2. Use a pencil or white dress maker’s pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each dark print 3-1⁄2" and 2-1⁄2" square.
3. Align a marked dark print 3-1⁄2" square with one end of a light print 3-1⁄2x5-1⁄2" rectangle (Diagram 1; note direction of marked line). Sew on drawn line. Trim excess, leaving 1⁄4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle.
4. Align a marked dark print 2-1⁄2" square with opposite end of light print rectangle (Diagram 2; note direction of marked line). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a rectangle unit. The rectangle unit still should be 5-1⁄2x3-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make four matching rectangle units total.
6. Sew together four rectangle units in pairs (Diagram 3). Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a flower unit. Press seam in one direction.
7. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together flower unit and dark print 4-1⁄2x10-1⁄2" rectangle to make a block. Press seam toward dark print rectangle. The block should be 10-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
8. Repeat steps 1–7 to make 20 blocks total.