Assemble and Appliqué Center Block
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each blue batik 12" square.
2. Align a marked blue batik square with one corner of light multicolor batik 23-1⁄2" square (Diagram 2; note direction of marked line). Sew on drawn line. Trim excess, leaving 1⁄4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle. Repeat with remaining corners of light multicolor batik square to make center block appliqué foundation.
3. With right side inside, fold center block appliqué foundation in half diagonally twice and press lightly to make diagonal placement lines; unfold.
4. Fold a prepared stem in half crosswise and finger-press to mark center. Position stem on appliqué foundation over a diagonal placement line; align center of stem with intersection of diagonal placement lines. Add a second stem in same manner. Pin or baste in place. Using green thread, machine-blanket-stitch stems in place.
5. Referring to center of Quilt Assembly Diagram, arrange all appliqué pieces on the appliqué foundation. When you are pleased with the arrangement, fuse pieces in place following manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Working from bottom layer to top and using thread that matches appliqués, machine-blanket-stitch around each appliqué to make center block.