Assemble and Add Inner Border
For precise piecing of the border segments, you may prefer paper piecing instead of the traditional method. Click on "Download this Project" for the Border Paper-Piecing Pattern.
1. For one border segment, gather two matching medium or dark batik small triangles, one dark green batik small triangle, and two dark green batik extra-small triangles. Sew medium or dark batik small triangles to short edges of a dark green batik small triangle, offsetting points by 3/8" (Diagram 7). Press seams toward assorted batik triangles.
2. Join dark green batik extra-small triangles to ends of Step 1 unit to make a border segment (Diagram 8). Press seams toward dark green batik. If necessary, trim the extra-small triangles’ dog-ears. The border segment should be 6-1/4" long including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 80 border segments total.
4. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together 20 border segments to make an inner border strip. Press seams in one direction. The strip should be 6-1/4x28-3/4" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four inner border strips total.
5. Sew inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center, noting direction of assorted print triangles. Press seams toward quilt center.
6. Join dark green batik 6-1/4" squares to ends of remaining inner border strips. Press seams toward squares. Add remaining inner border strips to remaining edges of quilt center, again noting direction of assorted print triangles. Press seams toward quilt center. The quilt center now should be 40-1/4" square including seam allowances.