Assemble Diamond Points
1. Referring to Diagram 2, arrange 2-1/4x42" strips in four units as shown, offsetting strips by 1-3/4". Letters indicate which fabrics to use.
2. Sew together strips in each unit. Press seams away from bottom strip, pressing after each seam is sewn. Take care to sew accurate 1/4" seams to avoid a distorted or wavy star. Check width of strips in completed units. Inside strips should be exactly 1-3/4" from seam line to seam line, and outer strips should be 2" wide.
3. Rotate each unit 180˚, then trim the right-hand edge at a 45˚ angle (Diagram 3). To easily trim at this angle, first align the 45˚ line of a square acrylic ruler with a seam on the unit. Abut the edge of a 6x24" acrylic ruler with the square ruler; trim.
4. Again rotate each unit 180˚. Cutting parallel to trimmed left-hand edge, cut each unit into eight 2-1/4"-wide sections to make diamond rows (Diagram 4). Check every two or three rows to ensure you’re still cutting at a perfect 45˚ angle. Repeat Step 3 to correct the angle, if needed. Keep diamond rows stacked and labeled by unit.
5. Lay out one diamond row from each unit (Diagram 5). Layer diamond rows from units 1 and 2 with right sides together. Pin rows together, inserting pins into 1/4" seams and being careful to intersect seam lines. A small amount of fabric will extend at top and bottom. Slowly sew together rows, removing each pin just before you reach it. Join diamond rows from units 3 and 4 in the same manner. Join paired rows to make a diamond point. Press seams in one direction; do not press seams open.
6. Mark a dot in each corner of the diamond point where 1/4" seam allowances intersect (Diagram 6). The dots indicate where seams should stop and start when the diamond is joined to another. In order to set in the LeMoyne Star blocks and setting units, do not sew into seam allowances beyond these dots.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 to make and mark eight diamond points total.