1. Referring to Diagram 5, lay out four Flying Geese No. 1 units, four cream print No. 1—1-1⁄4" squares, and one cream print No. 1—2" square in three rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward squares in each row. Join rows to make a Sawtooth Star block A. The block should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
3. To reduce bulk, clip through both layers of seam allowances up to seam lines 1⁄4" on each side of seam intersections (clips will be 1⁄2" apart). Press Flying Geese seam allowances toward cream print No. 1 squares. Press clipped intersections open to create a tiny Four-Patch on the block’s wrong side (Diagram 6).
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make seven total of Sawtooth Star block A.
5. Using Flying Geese No. 2 units and cream print No. 2—1-1⁄4" and 2" squares, repeat steps 1–3 to make nine total of Sawtooth Star block B (Diagram 7).