Assemble Quilt Center
Referring to Mini Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together center unit, side units, and corner units in three rows. Press seams away from side units. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 13-1⁄4" square including seam allowances.
Assemble and Add Border
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of white shirting 1-3⁄8" squares.
2. Align a marked white shirting square with one end of an assorted blue print 1-3⁄8×2-1⁄4" rectangle (Diagram 9). Stitch on marked line and trim seam allowance to 1⁄4". Press attached triangle open, pressing seam toward blue print. Align a second marked white shirting square with remaining end of rectangle. Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a Flying Geese unit. The unit should be 2-1⁄4×1-3⁄8" including seam allowances.
3. Repeat Step 2 to make 76 Flying Geese units total.
4. Referring to Diagram 10, sew together nine Flying Geese units in a row. Press seams in one direction. Then sew together eight Flying Geese units in a row. Offsetting seams, join pieced rows to make a short border strip (Diagram 11). Repeat to make a second short border strip.
5. Center and add a short border strip to one edge of quilt center. Press seam toward border strip. Trim excess border strip even with quilt center edges (red lines on Mini Quilt Assembly Diagram). Repeat to add remaining short border strip to opposite edge of quilt center.
6. Join 11 Flying Geese units in a row. Press seams in one direction. Then sew together 10 Flying Geese units in a row. Offsetting seams, join pieced rows to make a long border strip (Mini Quilt Assembly Diagram). Repeat to make a second long border strip.
7. Center and add long border strips to remaining edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border strips. Trim excess border strips even with quilt center edges to complete quilt top.