Assemble Center Unit
Referring to Diagram 1, lay out four assorted blue print 2-3⁄4" squares, four white shirting 1-1⁄4×2-3⁄4" rectangles, and an assorted blue print 1-1⁄4" square in three rows. Sew together; press seams toward blue print squares. Join rows to make center unit. Press seams away from middle row. The center unit should be 5-3⁄4" square including seam allowances.
Assemble Side and Corner Units
1. Sew together two assorted blue print 1-1⁄4×6" strips and one white shirting 1-1⁄4×6" strip to make strip set A (Diagram 2). Press seams toward blue prints. Repeat to make a second strip set A. Cut strip sets into eight 1-1⁄4"-wide A segments.
2. Sew together one assorted blue print 1-1⁄2×6" strip and two white shirting 1-1⁄4×6" strips to make strip set B (Diagram 3). Press seams toward blue print. Cut strip set into four 1-1⁄4"-wide B segments.
3. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together two A segments and one B segment to make a Nine-Patch unit. Press seams toward A segments. The unit should be 2-3⁄4" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four Nine-Patch units total.
4. Sew together one assorted blue print 1-1⁄4×12" strip and one white shirting 1-1⁄4×12" strip to make strip set C (Diagram 5). Press seam toward blue print. Repeat to make four C strip sets total. Cut strip sets into eight 2-3⁄4"-wide large C segments and 12—1-1⁄4"-wide small C segments.
5. Sew together two small C segments to make a Four-Patch unit (Diagram 6). Press seam in one direction. The Four-Patch unit should be 2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four Four-Patch units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 7, sew together one Four-Patch unit, one Nine-Patch unit, and two white shirting 2×2-3⁄4" rectangles in pairs. Press seams away from rectangles. Join pairs to make a corner unit. Press seam toward row with Nine-Patch unit. The corner unit should be 4-1⁄4" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four corner units total.
7. Referring to Diagram 8, sew together two large C segments, one small C segment, two white shirting 2-3⁄4" squares, and one assorted blue print 1-1⁄4×2-3⁄4" rectangle in two rows. Press seams toward large C segments and blue print rectangle. Join rows to make a side unit; press seam toward row with C segments. The side unit should be 5-3⁄4×4-1⁄4" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four side units total.