Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks and Cheddar print setting squares and setting triangles in six diagonal rows, noting positions of red Nine-Patch blocks and red-and-black Nine-Patch blocks. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward setting squares and triangles.
2. Join rows; press seams in one direction. Add Cheddar print corner triangles to make quilt center. Press seams toward corner triangles.
3. Referring to Cutting Diagram, trim quilt center 1⁄2" beyond block points along each edge. The quilt center should be 26-1⁄2 ×35" including seam allowances.
4. Sew a Cheddar print 4-1⁄2 ×35" border strip to each long edge of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border.
5. Using a round plate, cup, or saucer and a water-soluble pen or chalk marker, mark a curved line at each corner of quilt top (Diagram 4). Hand- or machine-baste on marked lines; you will trim border after binding is sewn to quilt top.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Diane stitched a 1"-wide diagonal grid across the quilt top.
3. Join black print 2-1⁄2"-wide bias strips to make one long binding strip. Fold binding strip in half lengthwise with wrong side inside; press. Align raw edges of binding strip with quilt top straight edges and marked rounded corners on border. Sew through all layers, easing binding around curves.
4. Carefully trim quilt top, batting, and backing fabric around edges and along marked corners. Fold binding edge to back of quilt. Hand-stitch binding to backing fabric, covering machine stitching at corners, to complete quilt.