1. Referring to Block Assembly Diagram, lay out a red-and-cream print 2-1⁄2" square and two assorted cream print rectangles or assorted navy blue print, plaid, or stripe rectangles for each of the 10 positions.
2. Sew cream print position 1 rectangles to opposite edges of red-and-cream print square (Diagram 1). Press seams toward rectangles.
3. Add navy blue print, plaid, or stripe position 2 rectangles to remaining edges of Step 2 unit (Diagram 2). Press seams toward rectangles.
4. Join cream print position 3 rectangles to opposite edges of Step 3 unit (Diagram 3); press seams as before. Continue in the same manner, adding remaining pairs of rectangles in numerical sequence, to make a Courthouse Steps block. The Courthouse Steps block should be 12-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 to make five Courthouse Steps blocks total.