Cut and Assemble Blocks
The following instructions result in one block. Repeat cutting and assembly steps to make a total of four blocks.
From print No. 1 (blue, green, or brown), cut:
From print No. 2 (blue or green), cut:
From print No. 3 (green or brown), cut:
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each print No. 1—2-5/8" square and print No. 2—2-1/2" square.
2. Layer each marked print No. 1—2-5/8" square atop a print No. 3—2-5/8" square. Sew each pair together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1).
3. Cut a pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units (Diagram 1). Open triangle units and press seams toward print No. 3 to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 2-1/4" square including seam allowances. Repeat with remaining pair to make four matching triangle-squares total.
4. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out triangle-squares, print No. 1—1x2-1/4" rectangles, and print No. 3—1" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams open. Join rows to make a Shoofly unit; press seams open. The unit should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Align a marked print No. 2—2-1/2" square with one end of a tan floral 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 3). Stitch on marked line and trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press attached triangle open, pressing seam toward tan floral.
6. Align a second marked print No. 2—2-1/2" square with remaining end of Step 5 tan floral rectangle. Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a Flying Geese unit (Diagram 3). The unit should be 4-1/2x2-1/2" including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 to make four Flying Geese units total.
8. Lay out Shoofly unit, Flying Geese units, and four tan floral 2-1/2" squares in three rows (Diagram 4). Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams open. Join rows to make a Sawtooth Star block; press seams open. The block should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances.