Assemble and Add Border
1. Mark a diagonal line on wrong side of 48 assorted light print 1-1/2" squares.
2. Align a marked light print square with one corner of a medium or dark print 2-1/2x3-1/2" rectangle; stitch on drawn line (Diagram 2; note direction of drawn line). Trim excess, leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle.
3. Align a second marked light print square with adjacent corner of the medium or dark print 2-1/2x3-1/2" rectangle. Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a rectangle unit.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 24 rectangle units total.
5. Join six rectangle units to make an inner border unit. Press seams in one direction. Repeat to make four inner border units total.
6. Sew inner border unit to opposite edges of quilt center. Press seams toward inner border.
7. Sew a light print 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle to a medium or dark print 2-1/2" square (Diagram 3). Press seam toward light print rectangle. Sew a light print 1-1/2x3-1/2" rectangle to adjacent side of medium or dark print 2-1/2" square to make a pieced corner unit. Press seam toward light print rectangle. The unit should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four pieced corner units total.
8. Join a corner unit to each end of remaining inner border units; press seams toward inner border units. Join pieced inner border units to remaining edges of quilt center; press seams toward inner border (Quilt Assembly Diagram).
9. Sew short light green print outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long light green print outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.