Assemble and Add Border
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each cream print 2" square.
2. Using marked cream print squares and unmarked red print 2" squares, repeat Assemble Hourglass Blocks, Step 2, to make four small triangle-squares. Trim each small triangle-square to 1-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Referring to Table Mat Assembly Diagram, sew together three cream print 1-1/2x4" rectangles and three red print 1-1/2x4" rectangles to make a long border strip. Press seams open. The strip should be 1-1/2x21-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second long border strip.
4. Sew together two small triangle-squares, two cream print 1-1/2x4" rectangles, and two red print 1-1/2x4" rectangles to make a short border strip (Table Mat Assembly Diagram; note rotation of small triangle-squares). Press seams open. The strip should be 1-1/2x16-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second short border strip.
5. Referring to Table Mat Assembly Diagram for positions of red and cream print rectangles, sew long border strips to long edges of table mat center. Add short border strips to remaining edges to complete table mat top. Press all seams toward border.