Assemble Hour Glass Blocks
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each cream print 4-3/4" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2. Layer a marked cream print square atop an assorted red print 4-3/4" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seams toward red print, to make two large triangle-squares. Each should be 4-3/8" square including seam allowances.
3. Mark a diagonal line perpendicular to seam line
on wrong side of one large triangle-square.
4. Referring to Diagram 2, layer marked large triangle-square atop unmarked large triangle-square, with each red print triangle facing a cream print triangle. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line. Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each unit open to make two matching hourglass blocks. Each block should be 4" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 2–4 to make 24 hourglass blocks total.
6. Referring to Diagram 3, to reduce bulk clip 1/4" into seam allowances of hourglass blocks up to seam lines on each side of seam intersections. (Clips will be 1/2" apart.) Press block seam allowances toward red print triangles. Press clipped intersections open to create tiny Four-Patches on wrong side of blocks.