Assemble and Add Border
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each ecru stripe 1-1/2" square. Note: to achieve the stripe effect in the featured quilt, mark the line on half of the squares with stripes running vertically and mark the other half with stripes running horizontally.
2. Referring to Assemble Sawtooth Star Blocks, steps 3 and 4, use solid navy 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangles and marked ecru stripe squares to make 40 Flying Geese units. Pin squares in place and open up before stitching to make sure stripes will run in the same direction.
3. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together eight Flying Geese units to make a short border strip. Press seams in one direction. The short border strip should be 1-1/2x16-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second short border strip. Join short border strips to short edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border.
4. Join two ecru stripe triangles to make a border corner square. The square should be 1-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four border corner squares total.
5. Join 12 Flying Geese units to make a long border strip. Press seams in one direction. Sew a border corner square to each end of the long border strip. The long border strip should be 1-1/2x26-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second long border strip. Sew long border strips to remaining edges of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border.