Assemble and Appliqué Blocks
1. Mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each dark blue stripe 1-3⁄4" square.
2. Referring to Diagram 6, sew together a light blue floral 1-1⁄2" square, two triangle-squares, and a cream tone-on-tone 1-1⁄2" square in pairs. Press seams toward squares. Join pairs to make a flower unit. Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 2-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four flower units total.
3. Sew a cream tone-on-tone 1-1⁄2×2-1⁄2" rectangle to right-hand edge of a flower unit (Diagram 7). Press seam toward rectangle. Add a cream tone-on-tone 1-1⁄2×3-1⁄2" rectangle to bottom edge to make a center unit. Press as before. The center unit should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four center units total.
4. Referring to Diagram 8 for color placement, lay out an A unit, one light blue Flying Geese unit, a cream tone-on-tone 2-1⁄2×3-1⁄2" rectangle, a center unit, a B unit, one dark blue Flying Geese unit, and a C unit in three vertical rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make a block unit; press seams in one direction. The block unit should be 6-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four block units total.
5. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, position one stem appliqué and two leaf appliqués on a block unit. Turn under top raw edge of stem to match corner of cream tone-on-tone square. Pin or baste pieces in place. Using thread to match appliqués and a small zigzag stitch, machine-appliqué each piece in place. Repeat to appliqué remaining block units.
6. Align a marked dark blue stripe 1-3⁄4" square with bottom right-hand corner of an appliquéd block unit (Diagram 9; note direction of marked line). Stitch on marked line, securing end of stem appliqué in the seam. Trim and press as before to make an appliquéd quadrant. The quadrant still should be 6-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four appliquéd quadrants total.
7. Referring to Diagram 10, sew together appliquéd quadrants in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make block; press seam in one direction. The block should be 12-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
8. Repeat steps 1–7 to make three blocks total.