1. Referring to Diagram 9, set six basted diamonds into a star subunit to make Unit 1.
2. Referring to Diagram 10, set one basted diamond into a star subunit to make Unit 2. Repeat to make six total of Unit 2.
3. Referring to Diagram 11, sew together two basted diamonds and a basted triangle to make Unit 3. Repeat to make six total of Unit 3.
Assemble Quilt Top
In English paper piecing, you can decide the order of construction because the paper stabilizes the fabric, making it possible to work in any direction.
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, join units and remaining basted diamonds to make quilt top.
2. Remove paper templates. Along outer edges, open seam allowances and press flat.
1. Layer quilt top and red wool backing square. Cut wool backing to the same shape and size as the quilt top.
2. Using red thread, whipstitch edges of quilt top and wool backing together.
3. If desired, hand-quilt table topper. This quilt has straight stitches through each diamond shape.