1. Sew together a red print 21⁄2" square and a position 1 cream-and-navy flag print rectangle to make a unit (Diagram 1). Press seam toward rectangle. Join a position 2 cream grid print rectangle to right-hand edge of unit to make a red block center. Press seam toward position 2 rectangle. Repeat to make six red block centers total.
2. Sew a navy star print position 3A rectangle to bottom edge of a red block center (Diagram 2). Press seam toward position 3A rectangle. Add a navy flag print position 4A rectangle to left-hand edge; press.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, continue adding A rectangles in numerical order to make a Log Cabin A block. Press all seams away from block center. The Log Cabin A block should be 6-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make six Log Cabin A blocks total.
5. Repeat Step 1 using navy print 2-1⁄2" squares to make six navy block centers total (Diagram 4).
6. Referring to Diagram 5, repeat steps 2 and 3 with B rectangles to make six Log Cabin B blocks total.