Appliqué and Embellish Pennies
1. Center a black wool B circle atop a textured wool A circle. Fuse B circle in place to make a penny foundation.
2. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, use a white chalk pen to draw a curved stem on penny foundation. Position two green wool C leaves along stem, then arrange six matching wool D flowers at top of stem; keep appliqués at least 1⁄4" away from edges of black wool B circle. Fuse appliqués in place. If you used a steam iron and the stem has disappeared, redraw it (it was necessary for placement of flowers and leaves).
3. Using green perle cotton, stem-stitch along marked stem line. To stem-stitch, pull needle up at A (Stem Stitch Diagram). Insert needle back into fabric at B, 1⁄4" away from A. Holding floss out of the way, bring needle back up at C and pull floss through so it lies flat against fabric. Pull gently with equal tautness after each stitch.
4. Using one strand of green embroidery floss, tack-stitch around each C leaf. To tack-stitch, bring needle up at A; push it down at B (Tack Stitch Diagram). Pull needle up at C and continue in same manner around appliqué shape.
5. Using one strand of matching embroidery floss, make four tack stitches on each D flower. Begin each stitch on outer edge between two petals, and end each stitch in flower center (Diagram 1).
6. Using two strands of matching embroidery floss, stitch a French knot at center of each D flower. To make a French knot, refer to French Knot Diagram and pull needle up at A (the intersection of tack stitches). Wrap floss around needle two or three times without twisting it. Insert tip of needle into fabric at B, about 1⁄16" from A. Gently push wraps down needle to meet fabric. Pull needle and trailing floss through fabric slowly and smoothly.
7. Using black perle cotton, blanket-stitch around black wool B circle to make an appliquéd penny. To blanket-stitch, pull needle up at A (Blanket Stitch Diagram). Form a reverse L shape with thread, and hold angle of L shape in place with your thumb. Push needle down at B and come up at C to secure stitch. Continue in same manner around entire shape.
8. Repeat steps 1–7 to make seven appliquéd pennies total.