Inspired by Shiny Baubles from designer Sharon Wasteney of Something Stitched
Project tester: Jan Ragaller
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- Scraps of assorted red prints (appliqués, yo-yos)
- 1⁄2 yard cream canvas (place mat)
- 14 ×18-1⁄2" batting
- Lightweight iron-on fusible web
- Hand-quilting thread
- 5" of 3⁄4"-wide lace trim
- 7" of 1⁄2"-wide red rickrack
Finished size: 13-1⁄2 ×18"
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for pattern pieces. To use fusible web for appliquéing D and E ornaments, complete the following steps.
1) Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns D and E. Use a pencil to trace D once and E twice, leaving 1⁄2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1⁄4" outside traced lines.
2) Following manufacturer’s instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of an assorted red print; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From assorted red prints, cut:
- 1 each of patterns A, B, C, and D
- 2 of Pattern E
From cream canvas, cut:
- 2— 14 ×18-1⁄2" rectangles