1. Referring to Diagram 13, sew together six dot and stripe 2x21" strips, offsetting one end of each strip by 1-1⁄2", to make a strip set.
2. Using the 45° angle on an acrylic ruler, trim right-hand edge of strip set (Diagram 14).
3. Rotate strip set 180° (just-cut edge now is on the left).
4. Using the cut edge as a guide, cut six 2"-wide pieced strips (Diagram 15).
5. Using diagonal seams, join pieced strips into one binding strip. For a single-fold binding, which Julie used for this project, don’t fold binding strip in half. Fold under 1" at one end of the binding strip and press. Using 1⁄2" seam allowance, stitch binding strip to right side of cream tone-on-tone 17" square. (Click on "Download this Project" above for details on turning corners.) When you return to the starting point, overlap the binding strip and finish sewing to the starting point. Turn binding over the edge to the back. Turn under raw edge 1⁄2" and hand-stitch in place.