Assemble Place Mat
1. Set aside one triangle from each dot and stripe for coaster.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out remaining 40 triangles in four horizontal rows.
3. Pick up first two triangles in top row and place them right sides together (Diagram 2). Sew together triangles; press triangles and seam open.
4. Join next triangle in row to Step 3 unit (Diagram 3). Press open.
5. Continue adding triangles to make a row (Diagram 4). Press all triangles and seams open.
6. Repeat steps 1–3 to make four rows total (Diagram 5).
7. Sew together rows to make place mat top (Diagram 6). Press all seams open.
8. Referring to Diagram 7, trim 1⁄4" from place mat top points. The place mat top should be 17-3⁄4x12-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
9. Layer place mat top and cream tone-on-tone 18x13" backing rectangle with right sides together. Top backing rectangle with batting 18x13" rectangle (Diagram 8). Pin layers together.
10. Sew layers together 1⁄4" from place mat top edges, leaving a 6" opening along one long edge for turning (Diagram 9). Trim excess fabric and batting at corners. Trim at an angle across each corner.
11. Turn place mat right side out. Lightly press edges and hand-stitch opening closed to complete place mat.
12. Quilt as desired. Julie stitched in the ditch between each row.