1. For one dot crown unit, gather one large triangle-square and two small triangle-squares in the same dot, a dark gray floral 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle, and a dark gray floral 2-1/2" square.
2. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together the dark gray floral 2-1/2" square and a small triangle-square (Diagram 3). Press seam toward triangle-square.
3. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together Step 2 unit, the large triangle-square, the dark gray floral 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle, and the remaining small triangle-square in two vertical rows. Press seams toward rectangle and large triangle-square. Join rows to make a dot crown unit. Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 to make a second dot crown unit.
5. For one houndstooth crown unit, gather the following pieces in the same houndstooth print: one large triangle-square, two small triangle-squares, a 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle, and a 2-1/2" square. Using pieces just gathered and referring to Diagram 5, repeat steps 2 and 3 to make a houndstooth crown unit. Repeat to make a second houndstooth crown unit.
6. Referring to Diagram 6, sew together dot and houndstooth crown units in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.