Inspired by Coneflower Chain from designer Denise Russell of Pieced Brain Quilt Designs
Project tester: Jan Ragaller
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1—10" square green print (appliqués)
- 1⁄4 yard total assorted prints in red and purple (appliqués)
- 1⁄2 yard cream print (place mat front and back)
- 13-1⁄2×18-1⁄2" rectangle fusible foam (such as Flex-Foam 1-Sided Fusible Stabilizer from Pellon)
Finished size: 13×18"
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for patterns. To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1) Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1⁄2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1⁄4" outside traced lines.
2) Following manufacturer’s instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From green print, cut:
- 4 each of patterns A, B, and B reversed
From assorted red and purple prints, cut:
- 8 of Pattern C
- 12 of Pattern D
- 4 of Pattern E
From cream print, cut:
- 2—13-1⁄2 ×18-1⁄2" rectangles