Inspired by: Follow Your Heart from designer Tamara Kate
Quilt tester: Martha Gamm
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 5⁄8 yard solid white (blocks, sashing)
- 5—10" squares assorted light prints in red and teal (blocks)
- 5—10" squares assorted dark prints in red and teal (blocks)
- 1⁄3 yard teal print (binding)
- 2-1⁄2 yards backing fabric
- 20 ×52" batting
Finished size: 11-3⁄4 ×43-1⁄4"
Finished block: 5-1⁄4 ×9"
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for pattern pieces. Be sure to transfer dots marked on patterns to fabric pieces. The dots are matching points and are necessary when joining pieces.
Each heart is composed of one light print and one dark print. Before cutting, pair each light print 10" square with a complementary dark print 10" square.
Editor’s tip: Each heart block is made of one light print (one A triangle, one B reversed piece), one dark print (one A triangle, one B piece), and solid white (two A triangles, two B pieces, two B reversed pieces). For ease in assembly, before sewing arrange pieces on a design wall. After constructing each half block, return it to the wall.
From solid white, cut:
- 1—2-3⁄4 ×43-1⁄4" sashing strip
- 6—3-1⁄4 ×9-1⁄2" sashing rectangles
- 10—A triangles
- 10—B pieces
- 10—B reversed pieces
From light print 10" square in each pair, cut:
- 1—A triangle
- 1—B reversed piece
From dark print 10" square in each pair, cut:
- 1—A triangle
- 1—B piece
From teal print, cut:
- 3—2-1⁄2 ×42" binding strips