Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together blocks and side units in three diagonal rows. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
2. Join rows; press seams in one direction. Add corner units to complete quilt center. Press seams toward corner units. The quilt center should be 45-3/4" square including seam allowances.
Assemble and Add Border
1. Cut and piece red stripe 1-1/2x42" strips to make:
- 2-1-1/2x47-3/4" inner border strips
- 2-1-1/2x45-3/4" inner border strips
2. Sew short inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border.
3. Cut and piece navy blue print 4-1/2x42" strips to make:
- 2-4-1/2x55-3/4" outer border strips
- 2-4-1/2x47-3/4" outer border strips
4. Sew short outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with navy blue print No. 1 binding strips.