1. Sew light brown tone-on-tone 1-1⁄2x6-1⁄2" rectangles to opposite edges of a sports-theme print 6-1⁄2" square (Diagram 1). Press seams toward rectangles.
2. Add light brown tone-on-tone 1-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" rectangles to remaining edges to make block center (Diagram 2). Press seams toward rectangles. Block center should be 8-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 15 block centers total.
3. Add a black tone-on-tone 2-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" rectangle to top edge of a block center (Diagram 3). Press seam toward rectangle.
4. Referring to Diagram 4, add a red print 2-1⁄2x10-1⁄2" rectangle to right-hand edge of block center. Press seam toward rectangle. Join a blue print 2-1⁄2x10-1⁄2" rectangle to bottom edge. Press seam as before.
5. Sew a black tone-on-tone 2-1⁄2" square to one short end of a green print 2-1⁄2x10-1⁄2" rectangle to make a rectangle unit (Diagram 5); press seam toward rectangle.
6. Add rectangle unit to remaining edge of block center to make a block (Diagram 6). Press seam toward rectangle unit. Block should be 12-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 1–6 to make 15 blocks total.