Assemble Triangle Squares
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong sides of 14 teal gradated batik 9-7/8" squares and 14 brown gradated batik 9-7/8" squares, paying attention to position of diagonal line. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw the lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2. Layer a marked teal gradated batik square atop an unmarked teal gradated batik 9-7/8" square; make certain the gradated batiks on both squares are running in the same direction. Sew the pair together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1).
3. Cut joined squares apart on drawn line to make two triangle units (Diagram 1). Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam to one side, to make two teal triangle-squares (one dark triangle-square and one light triangle-square). Each triangle-square should be 9-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 14 dark teal triangle-squares and 14 light teal triangle-squares total.
5. Using brown gradated batik 9-7/8" squares, repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 14 dark brown triangle-squares and 14 light brown triangle-squares total.