Assemble Quilt Center
1. To make a rough plan of quilt center, lay out units A, B, and C in five vertical rows. Refer to Quilt Assembly Diagram for unit placement and rotation.
2. Where units meet, cut ends in opposing 45-degree angles (blue lines on Quilt Assembly Diagram indicate which ends need to be cut). Using an acrylic ruler and a rotary cutter, cut each unit end as desired (Diagram 4). Be sure to save cut-off pieces to square up ends of rows if necessary.
3. To join units, use diagonal seams. Offset angled ends of units about 1⁄4" then sew together (Diagram 5).
4. Trim each vertical row to 6-1⁄2×72-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
5. Cut and piece dark red batik 2-1⁄2×42" strips to make:
• 4—2-1⁄2×72-1⁄2" sashing strips
6. Alternating vertical rows and sashing strips, join pieces to make quilt center. Press seams toward sashing. The quilt center should be 38-1⁄2×72-1⁄2" including seam allowances.