Assemble, Appliqué, and Add Inner Border
1. Use a pencil or white dressmaker’s pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each black floral 9-1/2" square.
2. Align a marked 9-1/2" square with one end of a light gold tone-on-tone 9-1/2 x27-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 7; note direction of marked line). Sew on drawn line. Trim excess, leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle, pressing seam toward black print. Repeat with opposite end of light gold tone-on-tone rectangle to make an inner border unit. Repeat to make four inner border units total.
3. Fold an inner border unit in half widthwise; press lightly to make a center placement line. Referring to top inner border unit in Quilt Assembly Diagram, arrange a short stem appliqué along placement line; bottom end of stem should align with raw edge of light gold tone-on-tone rectangle. Arrange a long stem appliqué in a gentle arc on each side of short stem. Fuse stems in place.
4. Referring to top inner border unit in Quilt Assembly Diagram, arrange three green print A leaves, three green print A reversed leaves, three red print B or B reversed flowers, three black print C flower centers, and four assorted print D circles along stem appliqués; overlap any raw edges of pieces by about 1/4". Fuse pieces in place following manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Working from bottom layer to top, zigzag-stitch around stems and A–D pieces with black thread to make an appliquéd inner border unit.
6. Repeat steps 3–5 to make four appliquéd inner border units total.
7. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew two appliquéd inner border units to opposite edges of quilt center, stitching ends of stem appliqués into seam. Press seams toward quilt center.
8. Sew light gold tone-on-tone 9-1/2" squares to ends of remaining appliquéd inner border units to make long inner border units. Press seams toward squares. Join long inner border units to remaining edges of quilt center; press seams as before. The quilt center now should be 45-1/2" square including seam allowances.