Assemble Quilt Center
1. Align a prepared orange fan print arc appliqué with corner of a multicolor circle print setting triangle (Diagram 6); baste or pin in place.
2. Thread your sewing machine with neutral thread in the bobbin and clear monofilament thread in the needle. Set the machine for a tiny zigzag stitch. Machine-appliqué around curved edge of arc shape to make an appliquéd setting triangle.
3. Trim multicolor circle print foundation from behind appliqué, leaving 1⁄4" seam allowance. Lightly dampen glued edge. Peel away and discard freezer paper. Place appliquéd setting triangle right side down on a towel-topped pressing surface and press.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make four appliquéd setting triangles total.
5. Referring to Diagram 7, mark a dot on each corner of a star point where 1⁄4" seam allowances intersect. In same manner, mark corners of each appliquéd setting triangle and multicolor circle print 14-5⁄8" setting square.
6. Referring to Diagram 8, sew together two star points to make an angled unit; do not sew into 1⁄4" seam allowance at marked dots. Press seam open. Set an appliquéd setting triangle into angled unit to make a star point pair. Press seams open. Repeat to make four star point pairs total.
7. Referring to Diagram 9, sew together two star point pairs; do not sew into 1⁄4" seam allowance at marked dots. Set a multicolor circle print 14-5⁄8" setting square into corner of joined pairs to make a star half. Press seams open. Repeat to make a second star half.
8. Stitching between marked dots, sew together star halves (Diagram 10). Press seam open. Set the remaining multicolor circle print 14-5⁄8" setting squares into the open corners to make quilt center. Press seams open. The quilt center should be 48-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.