1. For a set of six matching star blocks, gather all pieces from one light print, all pieces from one red print, and all pieces from one green print.
2. Use a pencil to draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of six light print 3-3⁄4" squares.
3. Place each marked light print square atop a red print 3-3⁄4" square. Sew 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1).
4. Cut a pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward red print, to make two large red triangle-squares (Diagram 1). Each triangle-square should be 3-3⁄8" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 12 large red triangle-squares total.
5. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line perpendicular to seam line on wrong side of six large red triangle-squares.
6. Layer a marked and an unmarked large red triangle-square with each light print triangle facing a red print triangle (Diagram 2). Sew pair together 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line. Cut pair apart on drawn line. Press each unit open, pressing seam in one direction, to make two red hourglass units. Each hourglass unit should be 3" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 12 red hourglass units total.
7. Using green print instead of red print, repeat steps 2–6 to make 12 green hourglass units total (Diagram 3).
8. Use a pencil to draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of light print 3-3⁄8" squares.
9. Using three marked light print 3-3⁄8" squares and three red print 3-3⁄8" squares, repeat steps 3 and 4 to make six small red triangle-squares (Diagram 4). Each triangle-square should be 3" square including seam allowances.
10. Using six marked light print 3-3⁄8" squares and six green print 3-3⁄8" squares, repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 12 small green triangle-squares (Diagram 5). Each triangle-square should be 3" square including seam allowances.
11. Referring to Diagram 6, lay out one light print 3" square, two red hourglass units, two small green triangle-squares, one small red triangle-square, two green hourglass units, and one green print 3" square in three rows.
12. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams away from hourglass units. Join rows to make a star block. Press seams toward center row. The block should be 8" square including seam allowances.
13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 to make six matching star blocks total.
14. Using remaining light, red, and green prints, repeat steps 1–13 to make 48 blocks total (eight sets of six matching blocks).